First: In modern chemistry, it is now called a Valence Shell. It is the outermost shell (or ring) of an atom.

But if you look at an Electronics book, which is where I first learned about it, when it is describing what electricity is, it is called the Valence Ring.

Regardless of what it is called now, it provides the electrons that "make" electricity and it contains the electrons that are involved in molecular bond formation.

About this Blog

This is (in essence) a public repository of Notes, Instructions, Videos and other things that I have written down over the years.

I was putting (still keeping some) all these notes in either ZimWiki or EverNote or in documents on my computer. I thought it might be better to have them all in a "public" place so I can access them from anywhere.

They may not be 100% complete as far as the instructions go (i.e I know how to use ViM, so I don't usually explain how to edit a file using it).

They may assume you are using the same type environment:

  • A linux distribution on the computer (I mostly use ArchLinux but sometimes Ubuntu)
  • I also use a MacBookPro so some posts may be about that
  • Debian or Ubuntu for the server
  • Apache for the webserver
  • MySQL for the database server etc.

When things are really different, I will try to fill in gaps.

There is also stuff about the Raspberry Pi including programming in Python, Scratch and maybe some other languages. I will also be looking into hardware hacking with the Raspberry Pi.

There are three ways you can contact me:

Best Way:

Through the Comments on the post itself.

Or if you really don't want other people to see your question or comment: questions at valencering dot com

And there's the usual suspects: Twitter .